What did you do to your computer recently?

Lounge
GM_Guy
metro-esq

Re: What did you do to your computer recently?

Post by GM_Guy » September 1st, 2019, 10:05 am

Installed a SSD in my desktop. Samsung EVO 860. The samsung migration tool works quick, had my harddrive copied over in about a half hour, last time I cloned my drive with acronis it was almost 4 hours of churning away [same computer]. I almost miss the harddrive noise, and things load about as fast as I can click on the icon. (using win 7 for those keeping score).
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 4th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I replaced it.
I bought a new HP Slim Desktop Tower.
WIN 10, 500GB, 4G Sys mem.
Nothing fancy or extravagant...
I'm having one HELL of a time setting it up... The included "instructions" are a joke.
Transferring from WIN XP to WIN 10 is a sea change... I'm probably going to need some help...
ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
bluejay_32
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK CVNw MVP
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 4th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Ponyguy wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 2:33 pm
I'm probably going to need some help...
I have a sledgehammer.
2008 Grand Marquis - bought 7/29/16 - 60,210 mi
Inagural CVNw POTM - December 2018 :greenthing:

CVN POTM - February 2019 :jump:
Bellwestern80 wrote:Shame TechnoWeenie couldn't have handed us a pamphlet about VerticalScope.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 4th, 2019, 11:20 pm

bluejay_32 wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:25 pm
Ponyguy wrote:
I have a sledgehammer.
And I now have a sizable Visa bill... :rolleyes:

(So let’s not bash the thing until there are reasons for the attack)
ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
LTC_Dave
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK
Club 1K

Post by LTC_Dave » September 5th, 2019, 12:12 am

Ponyguy wrote:
Transferring from WIN XP to WIN 10 is a sea change... I'm probably going to need some help...
The start menu is crap to me. I installed a program called Classic Shell

Classic Shell=

VS factory Win 10 bloat

:monocle:***06 LTC Signature Limited, Silver Birch, Factory NAV, THX 9 Speaker, Sunroof, Heated Seats,"Fully Loaded"
:monocle:***97 LTC Cartier. Cordovan Red. 78k miles.

2001 Crown Vic. Silver 137k
bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 5th, 2019, 1:27 am

Ponyguy wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 11:20 pm
bluejay_32 wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:25 pm
Ponyguy wrote:
I have a sledgehammer.
And I now have a sizable Visa bill... :rolleyes:

(So let’s not bash the thing until there are reasons for the attack)
Give it about three weeks.
LTC_Dave wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 12:12 am
Ponyguy wrote:
The start menu is crap to me. I installed a program called Classic Shell

Classic Shell=

VS factory Win 10 bloat

And that's why I have Linux.

Bellwestern80 wrote:Shame TechnoWeenie couldn't have handed us a pamphlet about VerticalScope.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 5th, 2019, 6:16 am

I downloaded FireFox, and things have started to look a little better.
I still don't understand why Microsoft had to change something that worked, and everyone understood how to use it.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
ImageImageImage

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 5th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Ponyguy wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:16 am
I downloaded FireFox, and things have started to look a little better.
I still don't understand why Microsoft had to change something that worked, and everyone understood how to use it.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Did it try to convince you how much better Edge was than Firefox and Chrome?

The sheer amount of garbage that you can't get rid of in Windows 10 is staggering. I couldn't even get youtube to work properly because of everything running in the background. I constantly had to open task manager and shut down all the horseshit (that they replaced all the stuff that worked with) every time so I could get the computer to work right; but I couldn't shut down Cortana. The fck fine human being just started up two seconds after I shut her down.

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 5th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Cortana is not a fine human being. She is a Charlie Union Nora Tom!

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 6th, 2019, 9:35 pm

I called Snap-On support this morning because I couldn't get my scan tool to connect to the wifi at work.

When I described how it's been acting for a long time, he said I probably have a virus and might want to run system restore. I didn't have anything important on it, so I ran it.

That was not the problem connecting to the internet, so I had no internet on it at work today, which would have been nice.

Since I've been home (well actually I took a nap for a little while) I've been trying to get Firefox and Norton reinstalled, but it just came up with this:

All the misspellings make me think this is a virus, and I think it may be fried. :hitsfan:

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 8th, 2019, 12:27 am

Seems to be OK now. :shrug:

Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 8th, 2019, 4:54 am

I'm still trying to get my new computer set up and running as well as my old XP did.
There's a hell of a lot of computer stuff that I don't understand, and trying to make sense of WIN 10, as opposed to XP makes things just that much more confusing.
I used FireFox on my recently deceased machine, with Google home screen. WIN 10 throws a lot of shyt into the game.

AND, I learned that my trusty old flatplate scanner (H.P. Scanjet 3400 C) is incompatible with anything newer than XP... so, forget about WIN 10. :(
And I'm also unsure if I've located drivers for my H.P. DeskJet 6988 printer... and I just bought a set of ink cartridges for it, too. :mad:

Almost everything I click on with this new machine is asking for a payment... and many of the requests are not one-timers, either... it's yearly subscriptions for stuff. If this all washes out as I'm concerned it might, I might just pack this unit up and return it. I can use the computers at the library all day for free.
I never had to pay anything with my old XP machine... it came with a pre-installed Windows Office Suite, and my Internet provider added McAfee Virus protection, and said I didn't need to buy my own subscription... FireFox came on board free, too.

I'm plenty frustrated... :angry:

Anybody got any helpful suggestions, let me hear from you, please.
ImageImageImage

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 8th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Ponyguy wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:54 am
Almost everything I click on with this new machine is asking for a payment... and many of the requests are not one-timers, either... it's yearly subscriptions for stuff. If this all washes out as I'm concerned it might, I might just pack this unit up and return it. I can use the computers at the library all day for free.
I never had to pay anything with my old XP machine... it came with a pre-installed Windows Office Suite, and my Internet provider added McAfee Virus protection, and said I didn't need to buy my own subscription... FireFox came on board free, too.

I'm plenty frustrated... :angry:

Anybody got any helpful suggestions, let me hear from you, please.
That was the problem. Everything with 10 is a scam to get money out of you. Everything wants you to subscribe. Instead of having Windows Media Player, you have Groove Music, which is really nothing but a subscription service. I don't think I ever got the music I had on my flash drive to play in it, but it worked in Windows Media Player.

My recommendation is a different operating system. I have been using Linux for almost two years now. It works almost exactly like Windows 7 did for me. There are some things that don't work exactly the same, and none of my Windows programs work, but it is a billion percent upgrade on Windows 10. If my old computer decides to entirely take a shit, I'm going to have to get somebody who knows what they're doing to install a virtual machine on this computer with Windows 7 on it (and maybe XP and 95, too).

bluejay_32
Club 1K

Post by bluejay_32 » September 8th, 2019, 6:45 pm

bluejay_32 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:27 am
Seems to be OK now. :shrug:
My email comes up in less than four minutes now, so it's improved. I think it's gonna live.

Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Post by Ponyguy » September 11th, 2019, 1:39 am

Not much...
Still trying to decide whether to keep this new computer...

I don't relish the thought of forking over $69.95 every year for the privilege of writing a letter once in a while (MicroSoft Office Word) and the annual fee for McAfee (which was included with my Internet service for XP, but not for my new computer with Windows 10). My Scanner is not compatible with Windows 10 either, so it will require replacement; and my printer needs a different set of drivers, which will cost something if I've read the message correctly.

To "upgrade" my XP computer system to Windows 10 will actually mandate a replacement of every part of my desktop system... and equipment I used to "own" I will now essentially wind up "renting" since I'll have to pay annual user fees for everything across the board. It might be more expedient to simply rely on my smartphone for day-to-day computing issues (e-mail, news feed, web site browsing, eBay, CVNews, etc), and going over to the library if I need to write and print something. But, that limits my opportunity to 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and jinxes my document storage.

If I could acquire a new XP system (or just a replacement hard drive for my old broken-down computer) I think I would jump at the chance. Windows XP served my needs perfectly, never required a fee, and worked with my scanner and my printer.
ImageImageImage