X4 can't unlock PCM and related questions

Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder
Cpt_Cuddlz

X4 can't unlock PCM and related questions

Post by Cpt_Cuddlz » January 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Hi, all. So I bought an SCT X4 tuner a while back to tune my '08 CVPI after I installed a big 'ol mess of bolt-ons, and to have handy for future mods. I went through 5Star, because they were having a killer Christmas sale last month, and when I went to upload their base tune, I get a 110BE error from the tuner. The PCMs for this year are sealed, so it can't be chipped, and hasn't been tuned previously to my knowledge. It gets weirder, though. My PCM is a VK2-W7708 family, model 7W7A-23A650-VC. The homework I've done on the topic so far shows that this model is for 2007 model year Panthers, but mine's a 2008. Is it normal for some Panthers to have an older model PCM? Has anyone else had issues unlocking their PCMs with SCT tuners? Any advice is much appreciated at this point. I bought my tunes over a month ago and 5Star can't finish writing them without some data logs on their base tune.
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Re: X4 can't unlock PCM and related questions

Post by Ponyguy » January 29th, 2019, 12:12 am

I have a SCT X2 Tuner with several tunes for my 2004 Ranger... I bought my setup from Justin Starkey, at VMP Performance in Florida.
You might look him up and see what he can do for you... The guy is an absolute wizard with Ford Performance... His wife Rebecca, is a MILF who races a Coyote Mustang.
ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
#LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
SoK Contributor

Post by #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER » January 29th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Are talk with Marty o at Moe's speed shop.

What's your production date on your car. Not uncommon for mid year cars to have either year parts. Does your ecm vin match the cars dash vin?
03 marauder turbo LS swapped 11.40@120
#bstdmrc #lsswappedmarauder
Cpt_Cuddlz

Post by Cpt_Cuddlz » January 30th, 2019, 1:19 am

#LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Are talk with Marty o at Moe's speed shop.

What's your production date on your car. Not uncommon for mid year cars to have either year parts. Does your ecm vin match the cars dash vin?
So glad you asked. I realized today on a long phone call with SCT's tech support that no, my ECM VIN does not match the dash VIN. Keeps getting weirder with this car. I love it, but it's put me through hell. The dash VIN matches the engine VIN. That's been confirmed. The door jam VIN on the sticker inside the driver's side door matches the ECM VIN. BUT the door sticker and ECM VIN don't match the engine and dash. I tested my X4 on my wife's 2007 CVPI, and it still gave the same error. The tech support guy from SCT figured I just got a dud unit. It's quite rare, but they're sending a replacement, and I'll go from there. I figure I'll check with the folks at Cardone about a replacement ECM, or maybe my local dealer about reprogramming the one I have. I reckon it'll cost me about the same either way. I'm not sure to what extent a Cardone unit might require additional programming or if they'll accept an older model core. It's just kind of a mess right now, but I'm hoping that the tuner really is the issue at this point. I bought the tuner and tunes over two months ago now, but haven't been able to do anything with them between the ECM issues and the weather here in CO.