Big Brake upgrade time....

Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Mercury Marauder
CrownBen
Club 1K

Big Brake upgrade time....

Post by CrownBen » April 18th, 2019, 1:51 pm

It's time to change my brakes, as evidenced by the brake fluid level and lack of leaks, reduced stopping power, and slight shuddering every time I stop. This time, I'm going to do it right and go the Big Brake Upgrade route. Before I start buying stuff, some questions/request for comments-

Power Stop. Anybody have experience with this brand? They're all over Rockauto, and I like some of their options, assuming reliability is there.

Speaking of Power Stop, they have Pad/Rotor kits, one of which comes with drilled/slotted rotors. Other than the cool factor (which would be mostly hidden behind the HPPs anyways), unless they stop that much better I don't think I need to go that route. Both the "upgraded" and this come with ceramic pads, so that should be enough. I've also heard problems with drilled rotors developing cracks. So unless somebody has experience and can say the drilled/slotted are really that much better, the "standard upgrade" kit will be good.

I was going to ask about the banjo bolt, but I just found the answer- they're the same.

So I guess the big thing is Power Stop- yay/nay? Anyone?

I probably should do shocks, and I'm certain the bushings need changed too, but at that point the list is just getting too long. Another day.
95 CVLX · 77 F250
Priors: 00 V70 XC · 88 Grand Am · 77 Grand Prix · 86 LTD CV · 86 Country Squire · 88 Daytona · 75 CB750 · 53 Dodge B4C pickup
GM_Guy
metro-esq

Re: Big Brake upgrade time....

Post by GM_Guy » April 19th, 2019, 9:53 am

Drilled holes = less heat absorbing steel. I'd go with plain old regular rotors.
Never used power stop, can't answer that. I've been lucky enough to get the known brands show up in the closeout sales when I've needed to do brakes.

Alex.
88grandmarq
Elite 5K

Post by 88grandmarq » April 21st, 2019, 10:36 am

agreed.. dont waste your money on power stop stuff. drilled and slotted rotors, from my experience, usually dont perform any better and dont last any longer.
2011 P7B - retired Jay county Indiana Sheriffs car
2011 F-350 XL CrewCab 4WD
6.2L Gas, 6R140 Auto, 4.30 E-locker

89 Crown Victoria LX- HPP Box - SOLD 09/2010
88 Grand Marquis LS - The original - Totaled 5/2006
CrownBen
Club 1K

Post by CrownBen » April 22nd, 2019, 10:40 am

They have a regular set w/ceramic pads as well, which I was already leaning toward. You guys have reinforced what I already thought, so thankls, I feel more confident in my decision. Did a little browsing around the internets (where everything is true), opinion seems to be at one time there was some benefit but friction material has improved to a point where that benefit is no longer there. So it's more the brand in general I'm curious about since I'm used to buying more "Established" brands like Wagner, Raybestos, Duralast, Motorcraft, NAPA, think I got some Akebonos once, etc.

The only "whizz-bang" thing I still want to do is call up Classic Tube and have some braided hoses made. 8-)
95 CVLX · 77 F250
Priors: 00 V70 XC · 88 Grand Am · 77 Grand Prix · 86 LTD CV · 86 Country Squire · 88 Daytona · 75 CB750 · 53 Dodge B4C pickup