Tesla CyberTruck

Lounge
Ponyguy
POTM Winner
ronman@-esq

Tesla CyberTruck

Post by Ponyguy » November 29th, 2019, 4:11 am

Gents, I posted my personal opinion of the recently introduced Tesla "truck" that has caused so much commotion, with regards to the tug-of-war video with the F-150. Here's a copy/paste of my posting:
Ponyguy wrote:Today I spent some time looking at the current war of words (Tweets?) between Tesla's Ellen Musk and Ford's Executive Sunny Madra...
The Tesla CyberTruck was shown dragging an F-150, kicking and screaming down the road much to the amusement of "The Teslarati."

I agree with the Ford Exec. that it wasn't anywhere close to an even contest.

Given the specifications offered of the Tesla CyberTruck, I would opine that a "fair fight" would involve not an F-150, but an F-250/F-350. The CyberTruck (assuming a dual motor AWD model as demonstrated) would have an estimated weight of ~7500 pounds, 3500 pound payload, towing capacity of 10,000+ pounds, and the P100D power system offers 588 HP, and 930 lb-ft of torque. To mirror those capacities in a Ford pickup, one would need a SuperDuty with a Diesel engine.
The F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the most powerful 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine weighs about 5000 pounds, with a 13,000 max towing capacity and around 2500 pounds payload. A fair comparison would require a bigger truck than an F-150. The vehicle weight, and tire dimensions and compound determine the traction available, and physics takes over from there.

Musk now says he's going to run another "demonstration" next week, just to prove his point. It'll be interesting to see just exactly what he does... but regardless of whatever he actually does, his electric vehicle will win... you can bank that.
This evening,I came across this YouTube video from Jason Fenske of "Engineering Explained" fame/notoriety, who analyzed the Tesla stunt, and put some real mathematics on his Whiteboard and explained in Engineer-Speak exactly what I was trying to say: Musk's Tesla stunt was meaningless and demonstrated nothing, except that the CyberTruck is a lot heavier than the F-150.

ImageImageImage

1984 Mustang Convertible 2004 Ranger XLT Flareside 2004 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
bluejay_32
POTM Winner Contributor to SoK CVNw MVP
Elite 5K

Re: Tesla CyberTruck

Post by bluejay_32 » November 29th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Well, deh. He wasn't going to show it losing.
2008 Grand Marquis - bought 7/29/16 - 60,210 mi
Inagural CVNw POTM - December 2018 :greenthing:

CVN POTM - February 2019 :jump:
hot__box wrote:I know bluejay hates everything carburetor, so i'm not waiting on his reply :D